Nail Your Domain Name Workbook:
3 Steps to Select the BEST Website Address for Your Business
It’s time to select the BEST domain name (website address) for your business, but are you:
Confused? Stuck? Afraid you’ll make the wrong choice?
Is this “simple” task holding up important activities, like printing business cards and creating a website?
How do you select ONE domain name – the BEST website address – for your business? There are a lot of options and obstacles. And it’s SO important to get it right.
Remember the movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? The adventuring archaeologist and his father are seeking a religious artifact – a cup known as the Holy Grail. They encounter an elderly knight protecting dozens of cups, yet only one is the Holy Grail. There are so many choices. Which one is the right one?
The rival archaeologist selects a fancy gold cup, drinks from it, and instantly dies a ghastly death. The knight states simply: “He chose poorly.” Next, Indiana Jones selects and drinks from a different cup – the RIGHT one. The knight reassures him: “You have chosen wisely.”
When you need to buy a domain name (website address) for your business, there are SO MANY choices. Like Indiana Jones, how do you choose wisely?
How do you make the BEST CHOICE? How do you select the ONE domain name – the right website address – for your business when there are so many options and obstacles?
Are you feeling:
- Confused and stuck?
- Afraid you’ll make the wrong choice?
- Anxious because you need to get this done?
- Frustrated that it’s STILL on your to-do list?
- Overwhelmed and confused by all the options?
- Pressured to make the RIGHT choice, because you’ll need to stick with it for years?
- Afraid you’ll waste money buying too many domain names – too many WRONG ones?
What happens if you make the wrong choice?
A good website address helps prospective customers find you. If they conduct an Internet search and cannot find your website, you lose sales – whether you offer a product or a service.
If you don’t select the RIGHT website address…
- What happens if it’s not relevant to your business? – Mini case study: Ward started a business that sells athletic shoes for men. He didn’t understand the importance of having a good domain name. He selected a website address that featured his wife’s name AND his dog’s name! It doesn’t communicate what the business sells: athletic shoes for men. The website address doesn’t support his brand or help to promote his business. Unless he makes a change, Ward will lose sales.
- What happens if it’s hard to spell? – Some words in the English language are flat-out hard to spell. For example: cerulean, chartreuse, fuchsia. If your prospective customers cannot spell your website address, it’s hard for them to find your website. You will lose sales.
- What happens if it’s cryptic or confusing? – A jumble of letters or strange jargon means nothing to your prospects. If they cannot remember your website address, they may not find your business online. You will lose sales.
- What happens if it’s not a good fit? – If the website address you choose is not a good fit, you WILL be changing it in the future. That means you’ll need to update your website, brochures, ads, etc. It will cost you time – and it will cost you money. During the transition, you will lose sales.
Plus, SO MANY important things hinge on making the right decision, even printing business cards!
Making a clear, firm decision is critical, because it opens the floodgates to work on other projects. Selecting the RIGHT domain name means you can move forward with important business activities:
- Create your website
- Print your business card
- Join networking groups
- Promote your business via social media
- Create a brochure or speaker one-sheet
You want to make a decision, so you can move forward. But you need to make the RIGHT decision. How can you narrow down the long list of choices? How can you select the BEST website address for your business? Wouldn’t it be nice to say, “It’s done”?